[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN server in a MS WorkGroup environment
 Date:  Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:49:04 -0600
From: <thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch>

> I'm planning to use m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN and FireWall solution for our
> small firm. Our office network is a MS-WorkGroup composed of 9 Windows XP
> machines.

This thing that jumps out at me is the 10 connection limit of MS workgroups.
This is if they are on a LAN, or anything else.

> All machines in the WorkGroup contain the same 9 entries user base. All
> the
> machines are identical.

> Every week-end I'll will have around 6 users VPN connecting simultaneously
> to the network and accessing their desktop machine via MS Remote Desktop.

RDP has nothing to do with workgroup, so it will be fine.  As long as less
than 10 people connect to a given machine.

> I'm planning to use a WRAP from PC-Engines.

> My questions are the following:

> - Is the WRAP fast enough or shall I need a crypto card?
>  Should I prefer a PC?

How much throughput?  Unless you have a very big pipe to the internet, the
Wrap will keep up.

> - Are there any bottle necks or special problems I should be attentive to?

> I had a very interesting answer from Mark Wass telling me about some
> issues
> I could face : http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=222/34

> Did anyone face particular problems using m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN server in
> a MS WorkGroup environment?

Not a PPTP problem, but a LanManager problem.  You will have no name
resolution.  You will need a hosts file, or to call computers based on IP
address.  \\192.168.10.117\c$ for example.

> Before starting with m0n0wall I'd like to be sure about the right hardware
> to use, and some possible problems I could face in a Microsoft
> environment.

Lots of Microsoft problems. :-)  But they have nothing to do with m0n0wall.
You will have them no matter what.

                        Lee