[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Mark Wass <mark dot wass at gmail dot com>
 To:  thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN server in a MS WorkGroup environment
 Date:  Sat, 26 Nov 2005 06:03:31 +1000
Hi Tom

One small issue I had was DNS resolution. For example, a user at home
creates a PPTP VPN into work and then wants to go to an internal website
(say an intranet).

The user would type the address into the browser
(http://mywork.intranet.com) and it would not resolve. One way to combat
this was to manually enter DNS entries into the windows hosts file on
all remote PC's (not a great idea) or to add DNS entries to the DNS
forwarder on m0n0 and make a slight adjustment to a registry setting on
each remote clients pc.

The registry modification simply re-arranges the order of DNS resolution.

It's based of this microsoft article -

Here are the simple steps to modify the registry entry. This was also
posted here

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit32 in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.Click the following registry subkey:

3.In the right pane, double-click Bind.

4.In the Value data box, select the "\Device\NdisWanIp" item, press CTRL+X, click the top of the
list of devices, and then press CTRL+V.

5.Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Once you have completed this, when a remote hostlogs in they use m0n0 to resolve IP addresses.

I hope my little tid bit helps