[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Wass <mark dot wass at gmail dot com>
 To:  thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN server in a MS WorkGroup environment
 Date:  Sat, 26 Nov 2005 06:03:31 +1000
Hi Tom

One small issue I had was DNS resolution. For example, a user at home
creates a PPTP VPN into work and then wants to go to an internal website
(say an intranet).

The user would type the address into the browser
(http://mywork.intranet.com) and it would not resolve. One way to combat
this was to manually enter DNS entries into the windows hosts file on
all remote PC's (not a great idea) or to add DNS entries to the DNS
forwarder on m0n0 and make a slight adjustment to a registry setting on
each remote clients pc.

The registry modification simply re-arranges the order of DNS resolution.

It's based of this microsoft article -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311218

Here are the simple steps to modify the registry entry. This was also
posted here

http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=180/62

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit32 in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.Click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage

3.In the right pane, double-click Bind.

4.In the Value data box, select the "\Device\NdisWanIp" item, press CTRL+X, click the top of the
list of devices, and then press CTRL+V.

5.Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Once you have completed this, when a remote hostlogs in they use m0n0 to resolve IP addresses.

I hope my little tid bit helps