[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Enterprise m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:44:04 -0000
> Have any of the m0n0 developers considered setting themselves
> up to be a commercial entity that still devs open code but
> will support it commercially? (which in my opinion is a GREAT
> business model)

I don't profess to be a m0n0 developer (I try to help out where I can on the
mailing list, particularly with UK-specific issues, but I won't claim to be
a master programmer), but I do deploy m0n0wall firewalls to clients as part
of the other services we offer.

Most of our clients are in the 10-30 employee range so don't really need the
enterprise features you speak of (PPTP VPN is reliable, requires no
additional software, and is easy for staff working at home to configure
themselves, for example).

> But isn't that where pfsence is supposed to be?  There are
> already several custom options, like SMP support, or 50 pptp
> connections.  Beyond that, shouldn't we be looking at a
> different platform perspective?

I looked at pfSense fairly recently as a replacement for m0n0 when we
started deploying Asterisk servers to clients, since in the UK uploads on
ADSL are limited to 256k and it's a lot cheaper to get 2 ADSL connections
rather than 1 SDSL (upload >256k) connection. For now, we just deploy 2
m0n0wall boxes at a site, one for each ADSL rather than load balancing them.

My primary reason for avoiding pfSense at the moment is its requirement for
a hard disk - something I really would prefer to avoid in a firewall. It's
probably something that I should raise on the pfSense mailing list...

Regards,

Chris