[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot De dot Graeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  "Kim Moberg \(BCS\)" <Kim dot Moberg at bcsygehus dot dk>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] problems with Captive Portal. No access to the internet with the Captive Portal service enabled
 Date:  Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:10:58 +0100
256MB should indeed be enough, (max mem used at this moment for me was
about 6% of 1GB: 60MB)

It doesn' matter if you have 1gb or 2gb memory. You should enable remote
syslog if you are concerned storing them...

A fast processor and good NICS help a lot.

The whole stability of a system lies in the stability of the hardware
(good hardware, good cooling...) Some people seem to forget this (with
possible lockups as end result)

> I have seen Nomadix and Cisco using Captive Portal, and what is the
> different between your version and these commercial products?
1) there very expensive, for that moment you can buy a good hardware
base platform
2) don't know about Nomadix but IIRC cisco is mostly C++ programmation.
3) maybe more options? (or less ;) ) Enough people are working on
getting the same features or even more and better ones into m0n0wall :)

In the end only one thing is important: does it work like you want it to
work or not?

>I have another question.
>Do you have any 3th party tools to create users from the Radius server?
>I have look at pfsense version of validation users against Microsoft
>windows 2003 server, where you create new users in the Active
Directory.
M0n0wall can do exactly the same (and already even more) As long as
backend system is RADIUS it doesn't matter if you're using Active
Directory-IAS, freeradius or Funk software...

>Are there other alternatives? I mean an speciel admin page vere you can
>control your users?
It depends on the radius server you're using...

I'm testing everything against Freeradius but it sureley works on MS-IAS

J.