[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  choose the right Flash card for WRAP
 Date:  Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:19:18 +0100
I just ordered two WRAP boards with their enclosure.
Now I'm locking for two Compact Flash cards.

One of the boards will be used for m0n0wall only.

The second one will be used for testing and will
host alternatively m0n0wall and OpenBSD.

As I have no budget restrictions, my questions are
the following:

- will I have better results booting m0n0wall with
a fast Compact Flash card like the SANDISK Extreme III
(reads at 20 M0/s) or a cheaper card is enough?

- Does it make sense to choose a faster Flash card
for the board hosting OpenBSD?

I had a look at the WRAP specifications. I didn't
find any information regarding the Flash card adaptor
throughput. It seems that the interface used is a
simple IDE.

As said budget is not a concern, btw I don't want
to buy a faster card if it's useless.

Regards,
Tom.