[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rob" <lightweight at home dot nl>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic shaper: an idea to optimize gaming experience
 Date:  Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:46:34 +0100
I was just checking the "Firewall states" page and noticed that someone on
my network was playing an on-line game (UT2K4). I also noticed that, just
like most fast paced on-line games to my knowledge, it uses the UDP protocol
to transfer data. Now I could just put the game servers' address in a high
priority queue, but then I'd have to do that for every game server that is
played on. I simpler approach would be to prioritize ANY UDP traffic. Could
this have any downsides?