[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] choose the right Flash card for WRAP
 Date:  Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:56:37 -0600
From: <thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch>

> I just ordered two WRAP boards with their enclosure.
> Now I'm locking for two Compact Flash cards.

> One of the boards will be used for m0n0wall only.

> The second one will be used for testing and will
> host alternatively m0n0wall and OpenBSD.

> As I have no budget restrictions, my questions are
> the following:

> - will I have better results booting m0n0wall with
> a fast Compact Flash card like the SANDISK Extreme III
> (reads at 20 M0/s) or a cheaper card is enough?

In m0n0wall, the card only gets read on boot.  It is only written to on
configuration saves, and upgrades.  You may want a similar configuration for
your OpenBSD as CF memory has a limited number of writes. (In the thousands)
In that case, I would go cheap, and get several, rather than fast.  It just
is not needed often enough to justify it.

                        Lee