[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Known good USB network cards
 Date:  Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:53:47 -0500
On 11/27/05, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> Are there any USB network cards (ethernet or wireless) that work with the
> 1.2 stable version of m0n0wall?  I have a few small boxes I want to use and
> they have no PCI slot, and only 1 nic onboard.  I plan to use these mostly
> for testing, so I only need m0n0 to find that "second" nic...  I am fully
> expecting bursts of hysterical laughter, but I thought it was worth a try.
> :-)

you're expecting the right response.  :)

The USB NIC's that are supported are USB 1.1.  I have one of these and
know they work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sealed-Linksys-USB-Network-Adapter-PS2_W0QQitemZ5833344157QQcategoryZ45002QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But they're *SLOW*.  LAN latency is about 5 ms with no load, and max
throughput is about 4 Mbps when the wind is blowing in the right
direction.  :)  When putting through about 4 Mb, LAN ping response
gets to be 100+ ms.

USB 1.1 networking really sucks, but that specific Linksys card should work.

There are other cards that should work, but none I've personally used.
 The supported drivers in the m0n0wall generic PC kernel are:

# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device		aue		# ADMtek USB ethernet
device		cue		# CATC USB ethernet
device		kue		# Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
device		rue

from: http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/freebsd-4.11/M0N0WALL_GENERIC

a bit of googling should find cards that are supported by those
drivers, and check the FreeBSD 4.11 hardware list.

-Chris