[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mas Libman" <mas at masandwendy dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Monowall + Messenger video\audio conf
 Date:  Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:18:37 -0800
Greetings all!

I recently upgraded from my old Wifi+NAT+UPNP router to Monowall running on
one of my old PCs so that I could take advantage of the bandwidth shaping
capabilities and get VOIP working right. (So far VOIP and QoS are working
better than expected with Monowall!) Unfortunately after upgrading I am
finding it impossible to do audio or video conferencing with messenger, and
file transfers go at a snails pace due to the inability to dynamically map
ports. (I have 5 client machines at home, and we all use messenger, so
mapping specific ports is not an option.)

As far as I can tell, I need one of the following:

1) Add UPNP support to Monowall. I was surprised to see that Monowall didn't
support UPNP with it being such a popular technology. I appreciate that
there are security concerns with this capability, and that's why I run a
local application firewall on all my clients. Are there plans to ever make
this a feature of Monowall? Please?

2) Add SOCKS 4/5 Proxy to the Monowall server. Similar to UPNP, SOCKS can
map ports for clients, but it also supports basic authentication, thus
preventing unwanted apps from opening up ports. Has anyone successfully
merged a SOCKS proxy with Monowall? Any chance we could see this as part of
a future version? ;)

3) Use some other solution. Has anyone seen something similar to Monowall
with bandwidth shaping\QoS and UPNP (or SOCKS) support in a free (or cheap)
Windows or Linux package?

Thanks for your time - so far Monowall has exceeded my expectations (with
the exception of this one problem. ;)

/Mas