[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems with ethernet driver
 Date:  Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:32:30 -0600
From: "Daniel Ling" <daniel at argentra dot com>
>> From: Lee Sharp [mailto:leesharp at hal dash pc dot org]
>>> From: "Daniel Ling" <daniel at argentra dot com>

>>>    Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "bouncing", it looks like the
>>> driver is forcing the NIC into a 10mbit/half-duplex mode.
>>> As the system also has a PCMCIA slot, I plugged in an Intel/Xircom
>>> 10/100+56
>>> PCMCIA card, the m0n0wall console shows that the system has a card
>>> inserted
>>> but then it did not detect the card although it is listed in the
>>> hardware
>>> list. Do I need to find some way to add the driver? Thanks

>> Using ifconfig to take it down and then up.  Since you can not get in at
>> all, from the console, 1) assign network ports. (This does the same
>> thing)
>> If it comes up at that point, you just need an ifconfig in the config.xml

>> "bounce" the nics on boot.  This is common with the Compaq tlan cards,
>> but
>> this is the first time I have seen it on a realtek.

> How can I edit the config.xml file as I cannot seem to list the files in
> my
> CF card from my windows machine. Thanks

This is a real problem.  However, there are a few options.  If you connect a
console, and choose 1) Assign Interfaces, and a) autodetect both LAN and
WAN, are they at the correct speed?  If so, you can go into the web GUI, and
download the config.xml.  You would then edit it to include the "ifconfig"
command in the <shellcmd> section documented in
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-hiddenopts.html  I think the command you
need is "ifconfig -a" but I am not sure.  By using the a) autodetect
feature, you are performing an ifconfig, so if it does not work, my fix will
not either.

The other option is to find out what is needed to force 100, and make a
custom config.  Then you would need someone to make a custom image with that
as the default config.  Or you could use some existing tools to do this
yourself.  It takes a working FreeBSD system, however.

                        Lee