[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Hull <list at racc2000 dot com>
 To:  M0n0 Wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] can't connect with WAN IP manually set
 Date:  Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:05:40 -0500
Thibodeau, Dale wrote:
> I'm having an issue with m0n0wall, perhaps someone can shed some light
> on this.  I currently have the WAN IP set via dhcp and all is well using
> cp.  When I manually set the WAN IP suddenly the captive portal stops
> intercepting traffic.  With the cp off I just timeout, can't get
> through.  I have "block private networks" unchecked.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dale Thibodeau
> UW-Fox Valley     Network Administrator
> Information & Instructional Technology
> 920-832-2719     dthibode at uwc dot edu <blocked::mailto:dthibode at uwc dot edu>

Are you sure that the CP actually stops accepting traffic? Could it be
that the Mono box no longer talks to the NHR (Next Hop Router) properly?

You could confirm this with some ping troubleshooting. Try pinging your
NHR, ping a client on the LAN side, ping the LAN side of the Mono box
from a client.

With regards to the CP, what happens when you browse somewhere from a
client? Do you get the CP page?

Also remember, when using a static IP on the WAN, you must set your DNS
servers also.

Andrew