[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thibodeau, Dale" <dthibode at uwc dot edu>
 To:  "Andrew Hull" <list at racc2000 dot com>, "M0n0 Wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] can't connect with WAN IP manually set
 Date:  Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:20:05 -0600
dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Hull [mailto:list at racc2000 dot com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:06 AM
To: M0n0 Wall list

Thibodeau, Dale wrote:
> I'm having an issue with m0n0wall, perhaps someone can shed some light

> on this.  I currently have the WAN IP set via dhcp and all is well
> using cp.  When I manually set the WAN IP suddenly the captive portal
> stops intercepting traffic.  With the cp off I just timeout, can't get

> through.  I have "block private networks" unchecked.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dale Thibodeau
> UW-Fox Valley     Network Administrator
> Information & Instructional Technology
> 920-832-2719     dthibode at uwc dot edu <blocked::mailto:dthibode at uwc dot edu>

Are you sure that the CP actually stops accepting traffic? Could it be
that the Mono box no longer talks to the NHR (Next Hop Router) properly?

-The monowall can ping everything on the wan side and lan side

You could confirm this with some ping troubleshooting. Try pinging your
NHR, ping a client on the LAN side, ping the LAN side of the Mono box
from a client.

With regards to the CP, what happens when you browse somewhere from a
client? Do you get the CP page?

-when you browse it just times out.  You can connect to the admin
interface of the monowall, but it won't grab cp sessions anymore.

Also remember, when using a static IP on the WAN, you must set your DNS
servers also.

-I set everything on the wan exactly (to my knowledge) like the dhcp
server.

Andrew