[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dynamic captive portail
 Date:  Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:31:44 -0600
From: "Rob Parker" <rob dot parker at keycom dot co dot uk>

> Colubris Networks also produce the CN3500 (or at least they did - i
> believe
> it is an MGW3500/MGW3200 now?) which is a Linux-based solution which does
> something very similar but with many more functions than the Nomadix
> NSE's.
> I'm sure there are others as well which are no doubt cheaper than Cisco :)

Just for reference, I am currently replacing a bunch of Colubris devices
with m0n0 right now.  It was based on the features m0n0 has that very few
others do.  Oh, and they are NOT cheap.

> This solutions are able to detect all the broadcast on the lan and create
> dynamic virtual gateway to capture them on the portal.

This just does not work as well in practice.  A knowledgeable user can get
around it with ease, if the goal is to see others on the flat network.
However, you could fudge this a bit, if you want to develop something based
on static DHCP after authentication...

                        Lee