[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  vgaudin at monalisa dot fr
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dynamic captive portail
 Date:  Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:57:24 -1000
Gaudin Vincent wrote:

>I have heard that it exists somes professionnals products that are able to
>manage on a captive portail With not only dhcp but any hosts without any
>modification of the tcp configuration.
>
>This solutions are able to detect all the broadcast on the lan and create a
>dynamic virtual gateway to capture them on the portail.
>
>They speek of the bbsm of cisco ?
>
>What do you think of this solution (that I found very cool ) and will
>monowall get this idea ?
>
>vincent

I did one of these back at Wayport (on linux) around 1998.   You
essentially just look for ARPs for IP addresses which
are outside of the range of the addresses possible on the interface,
then NAT these through.

Nomadix claims a patent on this.  A bit of searching with Google should
turn up what I think of their patent, and how to (potentially) get
around it.  (IANAL, but it did annoy them to the extreme.)

m0n0wall isn't a "wireless ISP" solution, so I think its inappropriate
to hang this on m0n0wall (but I think craptive portals are bogus anyway,
and m0n0 has one of those).   Such a solution could probably be packaged
for pfSense without a ton of work.

jim