[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Emanuele at be dash ahead dot it
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] R: [m0n0wall] WRT54GS
 Date:  Thu, 1 Dec 2005 08:47:18 -0500
Emanuele,

I tried Sveasoft Alchemy and Talisman. Alchemy seemed more stable in
terms of sveasoft. If you want (IMHO) a better fork of sveasoft, take
a look at DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/ . I have been running this
fork for two months without any reboots or problems. Plus theres a
whole lot less complaining on the dd-wrt boards.

Now..for m0n0wall. I agree there's not comparison. M0n0wall is far
superior and rock solid. But there is one minor issue you may have.
M0n0wall does not support a wireless NIC in the latest stable release.
If you need a wireless NIC, you will need to use an older release,
like 1.2b5 or 1.2b7 .

While I don't use m0n0wall with wireless capability, I have read
several posts in the past that advocate using a wired connection to a
WAP. In this case you could use m0n0wall as the gateway firewall with
the linksys WRT54G in WAP mode.

If choosing m0n0wall as your firewall, there are many hardware
choices. Just about any pc that has hardware supported by FreeBSD 4.11
will work. Check the wiki for specifics. Also for small and or
embedded hardsware, look at
http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=CompatibleHardware

- Don