[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Emanuele at be dash ahead dot it
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] R: [m0n0wall] WRT54GS
 Date:  Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:04:02 -1000
Don Munyak wrote:

>Emanuele,
>
>I tried Sveasoft Alchemy and Talisman. Alchemy seemed more stable in
>terms of sveasoft. If you want (IMHO) a better fork of sveasoft, take
>a look at DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/ . I have been running this
>fork for two months without any reboots or problems. Plus theres a
>whole lot less complaining on the dd-wrt boards.
>
>Now..for m0n0wall. I agree there's not comparison. M0n0wall is far
>superior and rock solid. But there is one minor issue you may have.
>M0n0wall does not support a wireless NIC in the latest stable release.
>If you need a wireless NIC, you will need to use an older release,
>like 1.2b5 or 1.2b7 .

releases other than 1.2b5-1.2b7 support several wireless NICs, mostly based
on the Cisco, Lucent/Agere/Orinoco/Proxim, Symbol and Intersil 802.11b
chipset(s).

1.2b5-1.2b7 support some (but not all) Atheros chipsets as well.

Your biggest problems running m0n0wall on a wrt54g is getting a FreeBSD
port to MIPS, and
deciding how to store the configuration xml file.

Those aren't trival, btw.

Jim