[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Braden McGrath <braden at big dash geek dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  UPnP as a possible future option?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:02:10 +0000 (UTC)
I know there are many on this list who see UPnP as a horrible terrible useless
giant gaping security hole.  ;)

In a corporate setting, I agree 100%.  It has no place there.

However, for those of us who are using m0n0 at home, the dynamic port forwarding
that is enabled by UPnP is a fantastic feature.

I can't be the only person who has multiple machines that like to game.
Multiple Xboxes - while UPnP isn't *required* for Live to function, things go
much smoother if the router speaks UPnP.  The final nail in the coffin for me
is with BitTorrent.  I have several machines that all occasionally need to use
BT to grab stuff from the net.  For various reasons, I don't want to give them
static IPs or assign static port forwards.  UPnP is the best way to make this
work, since all modern BT clients support it.

Again, I realize that UPnP is a feature that some people hate, but that is why
there should be a easy to use on/off checkbox next to it...

Developers, what do you say?  Any chance of seeing a UPnP daemon in a future
build?

Also, FWIW, I'm unable to resolve mono.ch this evening, from my own nameservers
or a third party.