[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridging OPT with WAN Problems
 Date:  Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:27:32 -0500
On 11/30/05, Aaron with Morad <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca> wrote:
> I tried looking here...
>
> http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/troubleshooting-bridging.html for help...  but, as you can see, it
goes to the "IPsec Site to Site VPN" page.

that's...interesting.  thanks for the heads up, I'll check that out.

The only thing that I've gathered for that page thus far, from memory,
is making sure your interfaces support promiscuous mode.  Several
people were using some junk Realtek NIC's that didn't, and bridging
wouldn't work with them.

> So, I am trying to set up a bridge from one of my OPT interfaces to the WAN.  I created a > VLAN
(OPT12, VID 2525), enabled it and chose to "Bridge with WAN".  In Advanced I left  > "Enable
filtering bridge" unchecked for now for testing.  I am able to ping the WAN
> address of the m0n0wall but not anything past it.  I added a switch to the WAN of the
> m0n0wall to try from there and I was able to ping my providers gateway, but not from the > bridge
side.  Strange that I could ping the m0n0wall WAN but not anything outside of it - > bridge must not
be working.  I looked at the logs but can not see anything being blocked > on the bridge side.  I am
using Lex Systems CV860 with 3 Realtek NICs - LAN is not
> connected.  I have tried a reboot to see if that helped and nothing changed - still no
> bridge.  Does anyone have anything else for me to check?

I wrote the above before reading this part, and now I'd have
suspicions that it's a NIC issue, given the problems I've heard of in
the past with bridging and Realtek.  I don't think bridging VLAN's has
been tested much either, so there may be some issues with attempting
that under certain circumstances and possibly with certain hardware.

I'd suggest bridging the physical interfaces as a test and see if that
works.  If not, the problem is as I described above.  If so, I can try
to bridge a VLAN and see if it works for me.

-Chris