[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on WRAP
 Date:  Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:09:46 -0500
On 12/1/05, Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi at oav dot net> wrote:

> You can do that... but a Wrap eat very looow power (eg < 5W) so this is
> really not usefull to unplug it when you are out.

yeah, I've measured them at a steady 3W for a 3 port WRAP without any
miniPCI cards.

At 3W, running 24/7/365, it'll use 26.28 Kwh per year.  Cost of power
here is 5 cents USD per Kwh, which is substantially cheaper than many
places, but at that it's $1.31 per year to power a WRAP.  I would
guess that pretty much anywhere, you can run a WRAP constantly for
less than $5 USD per year.  Not worth the trouble of messing with
powering on and off.

But as others said, pulling the plug can't hurt anything (as long as
you don't do it right as you hit "save" in the webGUI anywhere, since
you could possibly trash your config that way).

-Chris