[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Benjamin" <john at thebenjs dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Outbound VPN while forwarding to an LAN based NAT'd VPN Server
 Date:  Fri, 2 Dec 2005 02:11:27 -0800
Hello -

I am running 1.2 and using the PPTP Forwarding option to a W2k3/SBS box on
the LAN as my VPN Server.  All works well, there.

I'm having problems with outbound PPTP/VPN sessions to one particular
network.  Outbound VPNs initiated from the w2k3/sbs box work infrequently.
Resetting firewall and NAT state tables seem to be of intermittent help.
PPTP/VPN sessions from other clients (XP Pro) never succeed to this one
particular network.  But those XP Pro clients can connect to other VPN
servers without fail.

So, it seems to be specific to the hardware on both ends.  We've started
talking to the techs for the VPN that we are having trouble connecting to so
we can find out more details about their config, what hardware they are
using, and if there is anything in the logs to shed a clue.

I wanted to get more information from the m0n0wall list.   I've read through
the FAQs and searched the archives and I see that PPTP is known 'not to play
well with NAT' but I haven't found a definitive answer as to if this setup
should work or not, or how to make it work.

What is the latest info on outbound VPN while NAT'ing to a LAN based VPN
server?

Any help is appreciated.  It's late so please excuse me if I've left out a
useful nugget of information.

thanks very much,
John