[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Hull <list at racc2000 dot com>
 To:  M0n0 Wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall Routing and NAT Question
 Date:  Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:25:25 -0500
Mark Wass wrote:

> So even though my entire diagram uses private addressing, I still can't
> route those addresses between the 2 m0n0walls?

I'd like to comment quickly on the non-routeable IP address questions.

10.0.0.0/8
192.168.0.0/16
172.16.0.0/16

These addresses will never be assigned to anyone, they are designated
for internal use. That's it.

There is nothing preventing those addresses from being routed, its just
that they won't be routed "out on the Internet"

For example, lets say someone has two locations each controlled by a
router. Each location is addressed with a different private subnet. And
said person has a point-to-point circuit between the two locations.

Said person can configure his two routers to route between the two subnets.

The only thing non-route able with private address ranges is that they
won't route "in the wild"; ISPs won't route them by default. If someone
controls a large private network, they can route private address space
to their hart's content.

This is getting somewhat OT, I think. For that I'm sorry. But I know,
Mark, that you *can* route your two 10.0.0.0/24 subnets between your two
Mono walls. I'm just not sure how as I am not familiar with that aspect
of Mono yet.

Hope that helps,
Andrew