[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DL360 G1 CD ROM install will not work ERRORS
 Date:  Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:12:57 -0800

Early Compaqs had some issues recognizing memory and as a result with most
Linux and FreeBSD installs memory size had to be specified in the
configuration or the boxes would only recognize 16 megs of ram.  With
FreeBSD you need to make a custom kernel with the MAXMEM option set, ex:
options "MAXMEM=YOUR RAM SIZE". Fill in your RAM size in KB (remember 1MB =
1024KB).

The easier way would be to set the hw.physmem<size> in /boot/loader.conf,
for more details check /boot/loader.help

The other "challenge" in working with older Compaq gear is that you have to
run the SmartStart utilities and configure the system for the operating
system it will be running.  The iso of the latest SmartStart image is
available for download at hp.com.

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager
Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.