[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  WRT54G Internal Changes
 Date:  Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:48:35 -0800
 > Ed Chatlos ............
 >
 > There really is NO comparison between a Linksys WRT and
 > any hardware running M0n0. Which is best depends on what
 > you need. To be honest none of the WRT series routers
 > are very good. The big deal with the WRT's is the ability
 > to load aftermarket firmware's that include some features
 > Linksys never intended to run on those boxes and the WiFi
 > power boost feature. If it wasn't for that the WRT would
 > be just another run of the mill wireless router. You
 > really do get what you pay for.

And to make matters worse, Cisco's takeover of Linksys has
resulted in even more problems.  The latest versions of the
WRT54 series don't run Linux any more ... they've switched
to VxWorks so that they no longer have to publish their
source code under the GPL.  See item 1) at the following:

http://www.nwc.com/mobile/archives/mobile_archive_113005.html

I don't know if this means you can't retrofit the old Linux
code into the new router models, but I've heard there are
many sad tales of unstable operation ever since the switch
to the new operating system.

Has anyone tried to downgrade the firmware (back to Linux)
or is there some sort of code in the new versions to
prevent this?

I use my WRT only as a wireless access point now, and use
m0n0wall as the firewall.  M0n0wall is much more versatile
(despite its inability to loop back through itself without
using DNS redirection).

Chuck