[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Benjamin H. Henry" <ben at magothy dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRT54G Internal Changes
 Date:  Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:11:24 -0500
Chuck Munro wrote:

>  > Ed Chatlos ............
>  >
>  > There really is NO comparison between a Linksys WRT and
>  > any hardware running M0n0. Which is best depends on what
>  > you need. To be honest none of the WRT series routers
>  > are very good. The big deal with the WRT's is the ability
>  > to load aftermarket firmware's that include some features
>  > Linksys never intended to run on those boxes and the WiFi
>  > power boost feature. If it wasn't for that the WRT would
>  > be just another run of the mill wireless router. You
>  > really do get what you pay for.
>

> And to make matters worse, Cisco's takeover of Linksys has
> resulted in even more problems.  The latest versions of the
> WRT54 series don't run Linux any more ... they've switched
> to VxWorks so that they no longer have to publish their
> source code under the GPL.  See item 1) at the following:
>
> http://www.nwc.com/mobile/archives/mobile_archive_113005.html
>
> I don't know if this means you can't retrofit the old Linux
> code into the new router models, but I've heard there are
> many sad tales of unstable operation ever since the switch
> to the new operating system.
>
> Has anyone tried to downgrade the firmware (back to Linux)
> or is there some sort of code in the new versions to
> prevent this?
>
> I use my WRT only as a wireless access point now, and use
> m0n0wall as the firewall.  M0n0wall is much more versatile
> (despite its inability to loop back through itself without
> using DNS redirection).
>
> Chuck

I know this is getting off-topic, but it just so happens that I recently
did a bit of research on this ;-)

The Linksys WRT54G version 5 hardware does not support the custom
firmwares. See
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54G for some
good info.

However, Linksys has come out with a new model, the WRT54GL, which does
support the custom firmwares. See:

For OpenWRT (not sure of the other firmwares), you can also use the
WRT54GS, along with many other models from various manufacturers. See:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware