[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] High CPU usage
 Date:  Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:59:57 +0100
--On 21. november 2005 9:50 -0500 Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:

>> > Can anyone recommend which NIC ( a list) would be adviseable to buy.
>
> Intel 82557- or 82559-based Fast Ethernet NICs
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET
> This link will give you a list of all supported cards.
>
> You can usually buy the intel pro 100 off ebay in bulk (3) for less
> than $20 US, sometimes (5).
>
> - Don

OK. I have got 3 Intel Pro 100 S desktop NICs and put it in the m0n0wall.
The speed improoves for 300 Bps from 3800 to 4100 KBps for download and
2800 to 3100 KBps for upload to server in DMZ. The only thing I see now is
that CPU usage is very low at 1-2 %. I thought the transfer speed will rise
more than this. I am also using Device polling.
Is there anything else to do to increase throughput?

Regards,
Sasa

BTW: to refresh things - m0n0 is installed on Compaq Deskpro2000 with P166
and 64MB of RAM.