[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Giobbi, Ryan" <rgiobbi at AGOC dot com>
 To:  "Jim Thompson" <jim at netgate dot com>, <chuckm at seafoam dot net>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall-list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] WRT54G Internal Changes
 Date:  Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:45:09 -0500
<snip>
c) its quite possible to build a linux image that will fit in the 2MB
flash/8MB ram constraints of the one wrt54 model
    which ships with vxworks.
<snip>

I don't think this is true...given that the Linksys WRTG needs the below items (at the minimum):
-2.4 Kernel with iptables and routing support
-dhcp server and client of some sort
-pppoe client
-Kernel support for wireless (Broadcom?) drivers
-Encryption (WEP and WPA) support
-RADIUS client (802.1x and WPA2)
-Web server of some kind
-Syslog server

Although the 2 MB of ROM is fine (actually, you could do with less), I don't see how you could get
the 2.4 kernel, with the extra encryption, working in 8 MB of RAM.

"According to Dhillon, Linksys's biggest competitors in the wireless access point market, including
NetGear and D-Link, switched from Linux to VxWorks long ago. "Linux has a larger memory footprint.
To be honest with you, a lot of companies in the networking space have already switched," he said. "