[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] High CPU usage
 Date:  Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:43:44 -0500
On 12/2/05, Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net> wrote:

> OK. I have got 3 Intel Pro 100 S desktop NICs and put it in the m0n0wall.
> The speed improoves for 300 Bps from 3800 to 4100 KBps for download and
> 2800 to 3100 KBps for upload to server in DMZ. The only thing I see now is
> that CPU usage is very low at 1-2 %. I thought the transfer speed will rise
> more than this. I am also using Device polling.
> Is there anything else to do to increase throughput?

use a faster box.  You're getting about 30 Mb through a P166 (consider
that's actually pushing 60 Mb, 30 on each interface).  That's likely
about the max speed you're going to get through a box of that spec.  A
Soekris 4501, 486 133 MHz, will do about 17 Mb, and a 4801 or WRAP at
266 MHz will do about 40 Mb.  I'd be happy with 30 Mb for a 166.  If
you were using Linux or a newer FreeBSD, you'd be lucky to get 20 Mb
through the same box.

-Chris