[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall ML <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow speed between LAN and DMZ
 Date:  Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:22:14 -0500
On 12/6/05, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> Keep in mind that CPU is only part of the picture.  Buss speed plays a major
> roll here.  Try and have your high demand cards in separate bussmastering
> slots.  Have a high speed buss, at the expense of a lower speed chip.

Yeah, but the two go hand in hand for the most part.  A Celeron 433,
or P3, has a much more capable bus than the old P166 he was using.
And either/or is sufficient if all you need is 100 Mb wire speed.
That's 200 Mbps through the PCI bus, or 25 MBps, of 133 MBps max PCI
bus speed (about 18% of max, plenty of room to spare).

If we were talking about 5+ 100 Mb NIC's, or gig NIC's, this would be
a completely different story.  At this scale, bus speed isn't much of
a factor once you get into the P3 range.

-Chris