[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall ML <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow speed between LAN and DMZ
 Date:  Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:50:46 +0100
--On 6. december 2005 17:22 -0500 Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
wrote:

> On 12/6/05, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
>>
>> Keep in mind that CPU is only part of the picture.  Buss speed plays a
>> major roll here.  Try and have your high demand cards in separate
>> bussmastering slots.  Have a high speed buss, at the expense of a lower
>> speed chip.
>>

> Yeah, but the two go hand in hand for the most part.  A Celeron 433,
> or P3, has a much more capable bus than the old P166 he was using.
> And either/or is sufficient if all you need is 100 Mb wire speed.
> That's 200 Mbps through the PCI bus, or 25 MBps, of 133 MBps max PCI
> bus speed (about 18% of max, plenty of room to spare).
>
> If we were talking about 5+ 100 Mb NIC's, or gig NIC's, this would be
> a completely different story.  At this scale, bus speed isn't much of
> a factor once you get into the P3 range.
>
> -Chris

Just one thing: I have checked my upload to the server in DMZ and hence I
can't get more than 7000 KBps, while download from the server in DMZ rocks
at 16000 KBps.
Server is a Duron 900 with 632 MB RAM and two 40 GB HDD, NIC is 3c905C, OS
is FreeBSD 5.4.
Any comment on that?

Sasa