[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall ML <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow speed between LAN and DMZ
 Date:  Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:44:53 -0500
On 12/7/05, Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net> wrote:

> Just one thing: I have checked my upload to the server in DMZ and hence I
> can't get more than 7000 KBps, while download from the server in DMZ rocks
> at 16000 KBps.

It's not 16000 KBps unless you switched to gigabit somewhere.  That'd
be ~125 Mbps.

What does a tool like iperf give you between LAN and DMZ?  That takes
disk I/O out of the equation and gives you a better measure of true
maximum throughput capacity.

> Server is a Duron 900 with 632 MB RAM and two 40 GB HDD, NIC is 3c905C, OS
> is FreeBSD 5.4.

5.4 is certainly not known for having a speedy network stack, to say
the least.  What is the speed if you take the firewall out of the
equation?  (with iperf results, there may not be any need to try this,
though it wouldn't hurt)

-Chris