[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall ML <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow speed between LAN and DMZ
 Date:  Thu, 08 Dec 2005 00:33:45 +0100
--On 7. december 2005 13:44 -0500 Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
wrote:

> On 12/7/05, Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net> wrote:
>>
>> Just one thing: I have checked my upload to the server in DMZ and hence I
>> can't get more than 7000 KBps, while download from the server in DMZ
>> rocks at 16000 KBps.
>
> It's not 16000 KBps unless you switched to gigabit somewhere.  That'd
> be ~125 Mbps.

This is the readings from FlashFXP ftp client. AFAIk you can have this
speed if running in full duplex mode or am I mistaken?

> What does a tool like iperf give you between LAN and DMZ?  That takes
> disk I/O out of the equation and gives you a better measure of true
> maximum throughput capacity.

Don't know this tool. I am quite new to FreeBSD so I learn on the way.

>> Server is a Duron 900 with 632 MB RAM and two 40 GB HDD, NIC is 3c905C,
>> OS is FreeBSD 5.4.
>
> 5.4 is certainly not known for having a speedy network stack, to say
> the least.  What is the speed if you take the firewall out of the
> equation?  (with iperf results, there may not be any need to try this,
> though it wouldn't hurt)
>
> -Chris

As I stated before, if I move server to LAN and then access to it I get
"lightening" speed ;)

Sasa