[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall ML <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow speed between LAN and DMZ
 Date:  Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:22:32 -0500
On 12/7/05, Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net> wrote:

> > It's not 16000 KBps unless you switched to gigabit somewhere.  That'd
> > be ~125 Mbps.
> >

> This is the readings from FlashFXP ftp client. AFAIk you can have this
> speed if running in full duplex mode or am I mistaken?

you could have a combined 200 Mb transfer to *and* from the same
server.  Assuming you're not uploading and downloading simultaneously,
you can't exceed 100 Mb.  Full duplex is just a max of 100 Mb in each
direction.

> Don't know this tool. I am quite new to FreeBSD so I learn on the way.

it's easy.

cd /usr/ports/benchmarks/iperf && make install clean

then run
iperf -s
on the server side

and
iperf -c x.x.x.x
on the client side, where x.x.x.x is the IP of the server.

iperf is also available for Windows as a precompiled binary, and also
for Linux, OS X, and most every other common OS.
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

I would run the server from one end and see what you get, then run the
server from the other end and compare.  You can get more involved than
that, but that's a good enough test.

-Chris