[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New Ethernet cards?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:54:05 -0500
On 12/6/05, Vitaly V. Bocharov <vitaly at fc dash sh dot com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know if Broadcom Network Cards (like Broadcom NetXtreme
> Gigabit Ethernet PCI-Express Adapter) are supported by m0n0wall?
> Can I find the full list of the supported equipment?

the bge driver for Broadcom NIC's is there.  whether or not it
supports that particular chipset, it's hard to say.  The man pages for
the gigabit NIC drivers in FreeBSD 4.11 seem to be outdated (at least
the Intel one doesn't include chipsets that are supported and are
included in the 5.x and 6.x man pages).  Here's the bge one, if this
helps any:
http://tinyurl.com/bjo8n

I can't really recommend Broadcom cards on FreeBSD.  I run 5.4 and 6.0
on some Dell 2550 servers with built in bge cards, and they aren't
extremely stable.  Performance sucks too, in comparison to an Intel.
Others who have done much more extensive testing than I have, have
noted a 50+% speed improvement, depending on hardware, from switching
from bge cards to Intel em (pro/1000) cards.  This isn't just true of
FreeBSD either, I tested the bge's in 2550's at around 400-500 Mbps in
Windows 2000 and 2003, and FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0.  Intel Pro/1000's in
the same box can exceed 800 Mb.

Supported or not, I wouldn't recommend using them.

-Chris