[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive portal IP of wireless AP not wireless laptop
 Date:  Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:20:22 -0600
From: "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
<a0a22b9f0512042124q57e4afacuab0075c3e18a08e7 at mail dot gmail dot com>, Ervin
Malicdem <schadow1 at gmail dot com> writes

> >Pardon my ignorance, Neil, because I am a newbie in terms of networking
> >so I do not know how put a passive tap and check if MAC address are
> >being sent.

> >What I only observe whenever I try to authenticate a wireless client is
> >that the wireless AP's (WRT54G) MAC address gets authenticated but the
> >wireless client's MAC does not get authenticated. But when
> >authenticating the wired clients through the LAN ports of WRT54G, the
> >MAC of the AP plus the MAC of the wired client gets authenticated.

> OK.  I know there was someone else on the list who had the same problem.
> Is there anyone here with this problem that can perform a packet capture
> between the wireless AP and m0n0wall to ensure that the AP isn't hiding
> everything behind its own MAC address?

Under Diagnostics, look at the DHCP leases tab.  The MAC address for the IP
is what m0n0wall sees.  If it is the AP MAC, it is not making it through.
It sounds like this is the case.  You need to see if you can somehow get the
AP to support Poxy ARP.

                        Lee