[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] pptp on WAN
 Date:  Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:07:13 -0600
sai wrote:
> according to http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-pptpclient.html - "The
> m0n0wall WAN PPTP feature is for ISP's that require you to connect
> using PPTP (some in Europe require this).
>
> This feature cannot be used as a PPTP client to connect to a remote
> PPTP server to allow m0n0wall to route over the PPTP connection."
>
> I may need to connect to a remote PPTP server to allow m0n0wall to
> route over the PPTP connection. I need my LAN users to access a remote
> server behind a remote PPTP server. Any ideas on how to do this?

Using PPTP connections on the LAN users will not work. The NAT issue
with PPTP - only a single user will be able to connect to the same PPTP
server at a time...

You will need some sort of proxy on the LAN to handle the connection
from the LAN users to the remote PPTP. Thus, only the proxy will make
the connection PPTP to the remote network.

I don't have a suggestion that I know will work. My initial guess would
involve RRAS on a Win2K/2K3 server on the LAN with a static route to the
remote network on the m0n0wall pointing to the RRAS. The details are
fuzzy - but that would be my initial guess.

James W. McKeand