[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Doug Sampson <dougs at dawnsign dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  traffic shaping - h323 packets
 Date:  Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:58:58 -0800
I would like to prioritize our inbound/outbound packets for users of our
video-conferencing equipment across our company. I've used the wizard for
traffic shaping and would like to stay with the existing rules. Question is-
does the existing traffic shaping rules prioritize traffic on ports 1720,
15328-15333 over other normal packets other than those listed as being part
of the "m_High Priority #1 Upload", "m_High Priority #2 Upload", and "m_High
Priority #3 Upload"? It looks as if currently the .h323 packets are being
passed as part of the "m_Catch-All Upload" and "m_Catch-All Download" rules.

If the above is the case, would it be possible to create a rule that passes
.h323 packets as part of the "m_High Priority #3 Upload"? I need to ensure
that there is roughly 512k of available bandwidth of 1.5 Mbps (both
download/upload) is set aside for these packets. 15% allocated for "m_High
Priority #3 Upload" doesn't seem adequate (15% x 1.5 Mbps = 225k). How can I
modify the default rules created by the wizard so that roughly 33% of the
bandwidth is set aside for these .h323 packets? I am open to modifying these
rules in order to optimize bandwidth for video sessions while retaining the
three upload rules that are currently in place.

I'm a newb when it comes to traffic shaping so any advice would be greatly
appreciated. We have 35 users at our company. We anticipate no more than two
video sessions at any given time. We have a synchronous 1.5 Mbps T-1
connection.

~Doug

 Doug Sampson
 Information Technology