[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marko Vukovic <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Compact Flash Adapters for PC installation
 Date:  Sat, 10 Dec 2005 03:43:07 +0200
PlanAlpha wrote:
> On 12/9/05, Jason Collins <jason at mammothcomputers dot com> wrote:
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a compact flash to
>> IDE adapter that will work with the generic PC image using newer Intel
>> mainboards?  I've tried a few different ones from Addonics which crash
>> the system at various stages during boot and a generic one which would
>> not boot at all in an Intel motherboard.  Alternatively, suggestions for
>> properly configuring a CF to IDE adapter and getting it to work without
>> crashing would be appreciated as well.  We've settled for now on using
>> an Adaptec USB floppy/CF reader, but have found the boot time in newer
>> motherboards to be excessively long -- + 7 minutes.  We'd assumed that
>> was because FreeBSD 4 did not have USB 2.0 drivers for the newer
>> chipsets from Intel (915 and higher).  Anyway, assistance, thoughts,
>> commentary would be most welcome.

I would have thought that these adapters were just that, adapters...
I've been using the pcengines CFDISK.1E
(http://www.pcengines.ch/cflash.htm) on many different motherboards, old
and new without hassles. There's not much on the adapter besides two
tiny capacitors.

Is your problem not perhaps related to the CF itself (or make thereof)?