[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Robust enough for heavy duty?
 Date:  Fri, 9 Dec 2005 22:51:00 -0500
On 12/9/05, tech at adaptive dot net <tech at adaptive dot net> wrote:
> Im looking to replace a SonicWall Pro 300 which i think is dogging down our
> T3 bandwidth.
>
> We move about 12Mbits out and 2Mbits in at peak hours hosting web and email
>
> Question is, if i put m0n0wall on AMD 3200 at 400Mhz bus and whatever of
> RAM, will it be able to keep up with my traffic for some 128 hosts servers?

with good NIC's, absolutely (Intel pro/100 or pro/1000 most
recommended).  Probably even with crappy NIC's, that's a ton of CPU
power (for m0n0wall, FreeBSD 4.x networking hauls).  12 Mb is much
less than many installs out there now.  I have a Soekris 4801 (that's
a 266 MHz processor) at a colocation facility in front of two servers
that has pumped out 40 Mb before (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, HTTP, SSH, and
rsync servers).  It's never skipped a beat.

The major problem you could potentially run into is running out of
states.  The state table size is a compile-time option that is set to
30,000.  That's a bunch, you may very well not need that much.  Since
you're only using 12 Mb at peak times, I really wouldn't anticipate
needing more than 30,000 states.  I've never gotten over 30K, but it
is a possibility to be aware of.

-Chris