[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Eaton-Lee <james dot mailing at gmail dot com>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless AP recommendations
 Date:  Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:02:28 +0000
On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 23:59 -0500, Don Munyak wrote:
> re:Wireless AP recommendations
>
> Since wireless capabilities have been removed from the current stable
> release AND, from what I have read, using a AP is a simplier
> solution... I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone with
> recommendations, as well as what to stay away from.

I use a 3com OfficeConnect, model no: 3CRWE454G72.
(http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRWE454G72)

It has the usual features such as MAC filtering and a built in DHCP
server, as well as the ability to be used as a wireless bridge and a
repeater. The range is great, it's never locked up or stopped working
(not the case with the linksys I had!), it barely heats up at all
(again, not the case with the linksys I had!) and I get good throughput
out of it.

I think on the whole 3com tend to do this stuff better (and support it
better) because the OfficeConnect series is - as the name implies -
aimed specifically at offices rather than home users.

For what it's worth, a cursory poke at the firmware yields a build
string for a linux prism54 driver, so I think it both has a prism54 card
and is running linux. May be wrong here - just a guess!

I don't use the DHCP Server for obvious reasons, but in the past (when
I've had a network with several subnets using ISA Server) I have when
I've had difficulties getting one DHCP server to service multiple
segments efficiently.

I believe that the ADSL model (which I think is built on the same board
and has an ADSL modem and four port switch) has the same bridge/repeater

the four port switch and the ADSL modem and just using one of the switch
ports to use it as a standard access point - that way you have it if you
ever need it :)

 - James.

--
James (njan) Eaton-Lee | 10807960
Semper Monemus Sed Non Audiunt, Ergo Lartus - (Jean-Croix)

sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3