[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot De dot Graeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  "James Eaton-Lee" <james dot mailing at gmail dot com>, "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Wireless AP recommendations
 Date:  Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:11:32 +0100
--
Jonathan De Graeve
Network/System Administrator
Imelda vzw
Informatica Dienst
015/50.52.98

(http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRWE45
4G
> 72)
>
> It has the usual features such as MAC filtering and a built in DHCP
> server, as well as the ability to be used as a wireless bridge and a
> repeater. The range is great, it's never locked up or stopped working
> (not the case with the linksys I had!), it barely heats up at all
> (again, not the case with the linksys I had!) and I get good
throughput
> out of it.
>
> I think on the whole 3com tend to do this stuff better (and support it
> better) because the OfficeConnect series is - as the name implies -
> aimed specifically at offices rather than home users.
>
> For what it's worth, a cursory poke at the firmware yields a build
> string for a linux prism54 driver, so I think it both has a prism54
card
> and is running linux. May be wrong here - just a guess!

I had a lot of 3com AP's in test (8250,8750 and 7250)
All ran on Vxworks.

A quick note on the 7250 you should better buy a HP procurve wl 420 for
it because it's the same hardware but the HP firmware supports much more
features and is at my opinion better.

J.