For those of you who are still experiencing inexplicable lockups:
please try the following instructions for running a little program
that will keep your CPU and memory busy and potentially reveal
hardware (overtemperature - WRAP?) problems. Please post your
experiences on the mailing list.
1. Download <http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/burnMMX> (as the name
implies, this only works on processors that support MMX)
2. Go to http://m0n0wall/exec.php
3. Upload burnMMX
4. Run the following commands:
chmod +x /tmp/burnMMX
5. Observe CPU load approach 100%. Leave burnMMX running in the
background and see if your box locks up.
6. Use the command "top" to see if burnMMX is still running. If it
has died (not listed by top anymore), this can indicate a problem
with your hardware.
7. To end test: reboot box or issue command "killall burnMMX".