[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: Re[2]: [m0n0wall] hard drive install
 Date:  Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:20:35 -0600
Brandon wrote:
> another Idea..   just download the generic ide version to a usb flash
> disk and use dsl linux or knoppix or some other live cd distro, make
> sure the hd you want to use is connected to primary master..  if it's
> not then make sure you know which channel it's on,  pri/ma is hda
> pri/slave is hdb  secondary/ma is hdc  secondary/slave is hdd.
>
> all you have to do is navigate to your usb drive in a termal and use
> the dd command..   you have to use gunzip and pipe the output through
> the dd command but the exact details of how to do this escape me at
> the moment..  it's printed on the install instructions on the m0n0wall
> site..    later

Much more complicated than using Chris' Install disk. Literally you can
install on the HD in two commands (after booting the CD)...

1)atacontrol list (to confirm the dev you want to write to)
2)gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad0 bs=16k (to
write the image)

After you have the system up on 1.11 - upgrade to current (1.2).

James W. McKeand