[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brandon <bstone108 at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re[4]: [m0n0wall] hard drive install
 Date:  Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:11:09 -0600
Hello James,

Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 8:20:35 AM, you wrote:

> Brandon wrote:
>> another Idea..   just download the generic ide version to a usb flash
>> disk and use dsl linux or knoppix or some other live cd distro, make
>> sure the hd you want to use is connected to primary master..  if it's
>> not then make sure you know which channel it's on,  pri/ma is hda
>> pri/slave is hdb  secondary/ma is hdc  secondary/slave is hdd.
>>
>> all you have to do is navigate to your usb drive in a termal and use
>> the dd command..   you have to use gunzip and pipe the output through
>> the dd command but the exact details of how to do this escape me at
>> the moment..  it's printed on the install instructions on the m0n0wall
>> site..    later

> Much more complicated than using Chris' Install disk. Literally you can
> install on the HD in two commands (after booting the CD)...

> 1)atacontrol list (to confirm the dev you want to write to)
> 2)gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad0 bs=16k (to
> write the image)

> After you have the system up on 1.11 - upgrade to current (1.2).

never really used the install cd..   always seemed to much trouble for
me since I'm not exactly new to linux, stuck on dial up, and already
had both knoppix and dsl linux.  downloading large files isn't worth
it most of the time for me.  when I get time to download it I'll check
that cd out.  sounds interesting.

off topic just a bit I was wondering what everyone thought about a
opensource nas operating system bassed on m0n0bsd.   I have never been
able to find a good free one that was easy to setup.

I'll start a new thread if needed..   just wanted thoughts on it

--
Best regards,
 Brandon                            mailto:bstone108 at comcast dot net