[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Dana Spiegel <dana at sociableDESIGN dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Manuel Dominguez <manuelmovil at teleline dot es>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall survey
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:21:05 +0000
Dana,

I live in the UK, but I raised the topic of NYCWireless as the reason
for my talking about this. I travel the world (literally) talking about
security and firewalling. I pretty much invented the concept of Web
managed embedded home brewed firewalls in 1998/9 with the precursor to
what would become my hobby and then career SmoothWall.

Since I retired I now go talk to colleges, uni's, companies about use of
BSD and Linux and about Security. However out of Tokyo, Sydney, anywhere
in Europe or the places I visit there is one city I KNOW I can get wifi
fast and free. In fact I stay off Ave of the Americas and I can be found
often in Bryant Park (in all weathers) sat on nycwireless.net
(http://www.dickmorrell.com/music/P1010059.jpg).

NYCWireless could be a HUGE breeding ground for MonoWall because you
have a kick ass site and well meaning members but only 10% of them
actually have a clue - luckily the 10% are the vocal switched on ones so
don't take that as an insult. If we could roll out or encourage roll out
of monowalls with a seperate DHCP pool firewalled off a LAN with a
forced DHCP page thats EASY for the admin to modify (no radius needed)
then there will be 30,000 Bryant Parks out there in a year.

I kid you not. When I started SW I said there would 200 installs in
first year. There were 760,000 in the first 9 months so rule of thumb
never works.

If this could be made to work with Monowall I'd be on the phone pulling
favours at every IT magazine in Aus, US and the UK getting cover CDs out
there and getting this the PR it deserves, just needs polish, thought
and some engineering clout - not a huge amount.

Dick