[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + westell
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:23:12 -0500
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:26:05AM -0500, Chris Sandy wrote:
> Is it possible to force the WAN interface to 10/half? If so, how? ;P
>
> I'm trying to use the net45xx + m0n0wall + a white westell.  The net45xx
> will not talk to the westell because its only 10/half.

I tried monowall pb23r570 on a 4521 when I was at my parents' house for
christmas.  Their dsl modem is a westell 2100 model.  The soekris with
monowall beat the pants off the celeron 300 running smoothwall 2.0.  I
was seeing approximately 25% more throughput with the soekris/monowall
combination.

Unfortunately, the soekris is mine, and I have other plans for it.  :)

Smoothwall has web caching which my parents are using to monitor for
abusive users (some family and extended family members think any computer
they run across is fair game for any use, including surfing sites my
parents would rather their computers not go to).  They need the ability
to track this, and the web cache logs are good for that.

Anyway, I believe I used a normal ethernet cable to connect the soekris
directly to the westell dsl modem.

Hope this helps,
Jim Gifford