[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + westell
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:03:03 -0800 (PST)
(top-posting corrected)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Falcor wrote:
> Chris Sandy wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to force the WAN interface to 10/half? If so, how? ;P
> >
> >I'm trying to use the net45xx + m0n0wall + a white westell.  The net45xx
> >will not talk to the westell because its only 10/half.
>
> My soekris/m0n0wall has no problem auto sensing and setting itself to
> 10/half with my cable modem.  It should just auto detect.  What is your
> m0n0wall reporting is the speed / setting of the port currently?

Indeed I doubt that that's the problem.  In fact, all NICs are required by
the spec to default to 10/half in the absence of autonegotiation, though
they can be usually forced into other modes by configuration options.

Do the link status LEDs come on?  Is the cable "straight-through"?  Does
the modem work when connected to a PC via the same cable?  Most cable and
DSL modems are wired "backwards" (i.e. as hubs rather than as stations) in
order to make it "convenient" to use a straight-through cable to connect
to a PC.  But this causes confusion when regarding them as "computers".

					Fred Wright