[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Firewall Issues with subnets
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:25:32 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> At 02:34 PM 1/8/2004, Dirk Kreyenberg wrote:
> >btw. is there a way to get a kind of command shell at m0n0wall, it would
> >make my debugging a little bit more effective ?
>
> http://<m0n0wall>/exec.php
>
> Is surprisingly effective.  Your browser will provide command history and
> command line editing.  I have not felt much need for a shell.

The web-based command line is useless for any command that generates
real-time output, such as a real ping client, or traceroute, tcpdump,
etc.  And of course it's sometimes useful to have diagnostic commands that
don't generate any network traffic of their own, which would be possible
with a console-based shell.

BTW, while the new exec.php with the history is nice, it no longer leaves
the old command present after it's executed.  I suppose it was thought
that it can just be recalled, but that means that executing the same
command multiple times now needs two clicks per each instead of one.  And
unless JavaScript is enabled (a security problem of its own), there's no
recall at all.

					Fred Wright