[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Blocked Port Detection?
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:32:37 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Brandon Holland wrote:

> Satellite (through various companies)
> Problem: Latency - 800-2000ms and Upload bandwidth: for DirecPC -
> advertised was 128k, real world, 22k.  (Uploading a website is literally
> better on dialup)

How could they possibly get 128K upstream?  I believe the satellite path
is downstream only, so the upstream has to be dialup.  Or is that just an
inflated figure based on some really optimistic expectations of
compression?

The latency could be substantially improved if they had a hack to send
small downstream packets via the dialup and large ones via the satellite.
Since this would apply to ACKs as well, it might improve the upstream
speed, which may be limited more by latency than by bandwidth unless the
receiving site has a large socket buffer *and* both ends support the "long
fat pipe" extensions to TCP.

					Fred Wright