[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Read error when booting m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:30:22 -0500
At 07:21 PM 1/14/2004, Andreas Mueller wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I downloaded the standard PC IDE-version of m0n0wall (pb24r585), unzipped the
>image and dd'd it to a spare 2 gig hard disk, just like the installation
>hints told me to do. I put the disk into a Fujitsu Ergo Pro x453, switched
>the computer on and after BIOS startup nothing but "Read error" appeared on
>the screen. I tried the same disk in two other computers, both booted just
>fine. What could be the reason for this? The computer is able to boot other
>operating systems such as Windows (ugh) and Linux, it worked as a
>router/server based on Red Hat Linux 7.3 for over a year now without any
>problems.
>
>Regards,
>Andreas

Most likely suspect would be the drive configuration in the BIOS.  Most
newer machines can be set to do auto detection, but after they come up you
can normally check to see what the reported type/configuration is.  I
suspect that the failing machine is either not doing the auto recognition
or is for some reason recognizing the drive with a different geometry,
etc.  That effectively means there's nothing valid on it since the order of
reading the data off is different from when it was written.  A good clue as
to whether or not this is happening is the reported size of the drive in
the BIOS boot up screen.  You can probably also override the auto detection
logic and manually configure the drive if you know what the parameters were
set to in the machine where you wrote the disk.

hth

Melvin

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two