[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Bridging with 2 NICs possible in m0n0wall pb24?
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:58:45 +0200
Short question:
is it possible with m0n0wall to perform packet shaping with only 2 NICs (LAN and WAN)?

Longer explanation of the question:
What i want to do is use m0n0wall in our test lab as a packet shaper (as in theory is should be
easier/better than full install of FreeBSD with Dummynet), to test effect of Latency and/or
Bandwidth on various configurations.
So what i have is, a Compaq Deskpro with 256Mb, and 2 Intel NICs (FXP), booting off CD (it has a
VERY noisy hard drive, so running off CD, with m0n0wall, would be VERY pleasant).

what i want to do is this;

current set-up
================
Test--------|Wall socket
PC		|(rest of LAN, DHCP, DNS etc)

Desired/Planned
================
Test---|m0n0|---|Wall socket
PC	 |	|   |(rest of LAN, DHCP, DNS etc)

So is this possible?
I have looked through the online archives, and am begining to think that this can not be done in
m0n0wall :(
the posts i could find motioned entering "Bridge with LAN", but in pb24, i can not find a location
for this in the WebGUI.
Anything i find using google points me to having to install FreeBSD, and recompile the kernel etc
(which sounds like hard work, something i am reasonably certain i am allergic to :)

advice, URLS etc appreciated
regards
mike